HI,
I was having a conversation with a friend of mine the other day, describing how I was having difficulty re-reading one of my favorite fantasy series of all time, The Wheel of Time, because after dipping into contemporary fiction, the writing style of even the best fantasy seems blunt and crude. The friend described how, in interviews, current fantasy all-star Brandon Sand said that when accused of shallow characterizations or lack of subtlety, he took it as a compliment, as he was not writing for that audience. Furthermore, my friend questioned the value of subtlety at all.As I get older, I find I ascribe more and more value to what I would call subtlety, potential for inference, respect for the reader, etc. However, these could easily be recast as obfuscation, vagueness and poor communication. I know I enjoy their presence in a book, and I find too much explicit revelation of, say, a character's motivations shatters the illusion of reality for me. But these do not seem very strong arguments. I used to be fine with the "simple" representation, and given enough fantasy books back to back I can still sink into that mode.I wonder, given that the Idle Book Club and most of the top topics here refer to contemporary fiction and its swathes of subtlety, what is the value? What do you think subtlety contributes to the experience of being a reader? It seems to me to be uniformly considered a positive, but is its purpose merely that we work more to reach the same conclusions? Does it allow us the room to delude ourselves into a more favorable interpretation of a piece of work (as with the Cloud Atlas discussion re: reincarnation)? Is the effort required to understand developing us more as people, or just more as critical readers?
Please help.
Thanks!
I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.
References: https://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic … -subtlety/

animated corporate intro